I've been thinking about 5 Years Time... plus a couple of years. I've been thinking of us as old people together. You know we'll be the greatest old couple. Because we're already crazy. I'll always be a little girl and you were born an old man. I'm superstitious and you're logical but if we meet somewhere in the middle, you say, you think it'll be just right.
It's hard to think that someday we'll all be rough and wrinkly. And I won't be able to run up the stairs anymore and my hands will be too shaky to draw. But for the first time ever I'm excited for it all. I like how fast time is going by and I'm excited to grow if it meant growing old with him.
Because in fifty years time I can see us there. Covering the front lawn in pine cones and seashells like my grandma does. We'll be that old couple who picks up trash on their walks every morning. Walking the long road with our sticks and trash bags. The mayor will give us a plaque for it and all our kids will come to watch the ceremony.
We can read our grand children our faded letters and let them see our old dress up clothes.
Even as old people, I demand we never give up. I won't let anyone forget that even though it's the end of our lives, our lives aren't over yet.
It's hard to think that someday we'll all be rough and wrinkly. And I won't be able to run up the stairs anymore and my hands will be too shaky to draw. But for the first time ever I'm excited for it all. I like how fast time is going by and I'm excited to grow if it meant growing old with him.
Because in fifty years time I can see us there. Covering the front lawn in pine cones and seashells like my grandma does. We'll be that old couple who picks up trash on their walks every morning. Walking the long road with our sticks and trash bags. The mayor will give us a plaque for it and all our kids will come to watch the ceremony.
We can read our grand children our faded letters and let them see our old dress up clothes.
When you're old you can get away with so much more. You're allowed to make rock people of all of your grandkids and line them on the mantle. You can give them half eaten candy bars and packs of taco shells for their birthdays. You can single one son out to pretend you guys think is gay and send him a bunch of woman's clothing. Bedazzled and all. I can wear a cloak to church and he'll have a cane and I can talk out loud to myself wherever I want. You can prank call and you'll always be forgiven.
I know we'll sit on the porch and watch the neighborhood for hours on end because no one can tell us it's time to come inside. We'll throw garden parties for all the grandkids and I'll finally get to carry out my idea for the giant masquerade ball. I'll forever teach the kids art lessons. I don't believe age will ever stop our ideas from flowing and I know we'll always have another project I want to start. I know I'll always think you're the funniest boy in the world and I'll always wonder every now and again how I was lucky enough to get you. We'll continue to paint with our shaking fingers and we'll still hold onto each other's wrinkling hands.
Oh it could be so nice growing old with you.



No comments:
Post a Comment