
The lights flick out and it's sudden. You're gone.
I don't have to untangle any threads. I know exactly where you are right now. And It. Is. So. Beautiful.
But when I think back to the cafeteria, you're gone.
Like the fated scissors sliced you out of the picture before I could even open my eyes.
I went there everyday, you know. To see you, somehow.
Now you're just a black-hole paper cut-out in my memory.
I read your obituary and cried. Because I know we were going to be great friends. I knew it with the first words you spoke to me. I've never wanted to get to know anybody, but I met you. Suddenly I was working my plans into actions.
I was going to wait in my dad's class for you, just so you could drive me back to your apartment. We were going to sit in the grass and you were going to play the guitar.
I was going to let you hear me sing because I wasn't trying to impress.
You were going to love the way I talk.
I was going to let you hear me sing because I wasn't trying to impress.
You were going to love the way I talk.
And I knew I was going to love your sister.
I know because I saw all of this while you made me laugh over the food counter.
I never even wanted those tater tots.
I won't be seen in the cafeteria again. That's a promise I'm keeping.
You see, I don't want to walk up to that counter and see anyone else but you and your mohawk and your beautiful teeth.
No, I've never loved a stranger so.
I just wanted to know you.
Now... I can't.
You see, I don't want to walk up to that counter and see anyone else but you and your mohawk and your beautiful teeth.
No, I've never loved a stranger so.
I just wanted to know you.
Now... I can't.
No comments:
Post a Comment