"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem." -David Carradine

Monday, April 28, 2014

my slice of jealousy that will always belong to you



 


I am jealous of the bed that gets to hold you. and the pillows that feel you drift to sleep.

and I'm jealous of your shirts because they get to hang around you all day.
I'm jealous of the sun that shines for you.
and I'm jealous of the rain. Because it never fails to make you feel alive.
I'm jealous of your childhood because it's known you longer.
I'm jealous of basketball, because it gets you to watch it for hours.
I'm jealous of the neckties because they get to wrap their arms around your neck all day and I can't.
I'm jealous of your family because they're certain they get to keep you for eternity and I can't be so sure yet.
I'm jealous of everything you're reading because those books get to rest in your hands and captivate your attention.
I'm jealous of everything that fascinates you...
and I'm jealous of the math problems because you enjoy taking on the challenge to figure them out.
and I'm jealous of your shoes because they get to walk with you everywhere.

I'm jealous of your old bicycle, because it went with you and I did not.
I'm jealous of your journal because it gets to read you. And I don't really read anything from you anymore.

1 comment:

ky said...

I'm so jealous of you. I love your writing. All of it.