"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem." -David Carradine

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

swan girls in fish print dresses

This is a letter to my daughter.

We have too much fun.
And I haven't even met you yet.



You have three year old eyes but they see everything.
You're only a small piece of matter made up of God, me and your daddy, but I envy you already. Your light curls and the freckles in your eyes look like the map of the stars to me. Your laugh is my favorite song.

When I look at you I don't see messy fingers and 'oopsies'. I see entire worlds in the palms of your small hands. I see masterpieces beginning to form from your finger paints. But most of all, I see a string of never ending love.
Suddenly, I'm happy.
Because I know that you will be.
Eternally.

I know you'll understand someday. And maybe you'll try to grab your potential from a ledge in front of you. But I won't worry, because more than just me will catch you each time you fall. I know you'll understand someday.

I know you will become my swan girl in the fish print dress. And I'll show you how to make everything seem beautiful. I'll tell you everything I've ever realized and I'll let you learn the rest on your own. We'll be the swan girls in fish print dresses, waking up early to feel the morning air outside. You have been her all along.
And I can't wait to meet you.

No comments: